Development Environment and Configuration
Configure your local development environment for building VR applications.
This page will also review the steps to prepare your app to run locally during development.
Configure Your Unity Development Environment
Configure your development environment by adding Oculus Platform Support to your Unity project. There are two ways to add the Oculus APIs to your Unity development environment.
- Navigate to the Oculus Integration page and select Import.
- In the Editor, select the Asset Store tab, Search for 'Oculus Integration', and select Import.
We recommend importing the complete integration package. This enables the core Oculus APIs, the Platform and Avatar APIs, and the Social Starter
sample scene. Read about the Social Starter, a sample scene that demonstrates how the Avatar and Platform APIs compliment each-other to create an engaging social experience.
Configure Your Native Development Environment
The steps to configure your environment will be different depending on the type of app you're building. Follow the steps for the app you're building.
Configure your Rift Development Environment
Note: The steps in this section are only if you're creating a Rift app.
Configuring Visual Studio for your Rift project is the first step in integrating the Oculus Platform SDK for your Rift app. The SDK download provides a loader that enables DLL signature verification and graceful detection of the Oculus Runtime. To use the loader:
- In your Visual C++ project, open Properties, expand the Linker tab, and select Input. Then, add the loader library (LibOVRPlatform32_1.lib or LibOVRPlatform64_1.lib) to Additional Dependencies.
- Add the cpp loader file (InstallFolder/Windows/OVR_PlatformLoader.cpp) to your project.
Configure your Gear VR Development Environment
Note: The steps in this section are only if you're creating a Gear VR app.
Configuring Android Studio for your Gear VR project is the first step in integrating the Oculus Platform SDK for your Gear VR app. There are two SDKs that you need to apply in the SDK Manager, Tools / Android / SDK Manager.
- The Oculus Platform SDK provides a loader that enables .so signature verification and graceful detection of the Oculus Runtime. To use the loader, add the SDK location to the manager (InstallFolder/Android/libs/armeabi-v7a/libovrplatformloader.so).
- Then, add the Android NDK (found in the SDK Tools tab of the SDK Manager). The NDK is a set of tools that allows you to use C++ code on Android devices. The NDK also manages device activities and allows your app access to device sensors and inputs.
Configuring Your App for Local Development
The configuration steps in this section will allow developers to run local builds of the application during the development process. This process is required, otherwise local versions of the app will not pass the entitlement check that you'll integrate in Initializing and Checking Entitlements. This section is not required unless you are planning to run your app locally during development.
- Create an application as described in Creating and Managing Apps.
- Upload a binary package for that application. The package does not have to function in any way during development, it just needs to exist.
- Add each developer who will be working on the application to the developer role of that binary. Each developer can verify by checking that they see the build in their build list.
- If some of your developers are not part of the application's organization, and they need to run your application outside the normal install directory. Add the registry key AllowDevSideloaded as DWORD(1) to the registry folder at
. This does not bypass having a valid entitlement, it just bypasses the directory check.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC\Oculus
Once the steps above are completed the entitlement check will succeed when running a local build of your application.
Integrating the SDK
The next step is to implement the initialization functions and Entitlement Check. See the Introduction to the Platform SDK page for information about these steps.